Wednesday 19 March 2014

Glimpses of Glory in Lent - Day 15

Words are powerful.
The rhyme says 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me' - it is not so.

Words can hurt.
The cruel word devastates me.
The scornful word diminishes me.
The neglectful word desolates me.
The word that is needed but not spoken causes hurt and confusion by its very absence. Absence inviting speculation.

Words can hurt and words can heal.
The kind word heals me.
The encouraging word builds me up.
The caring word comforts me.
The word that is offered at the moment of need affirms and supports.

Lord, may my words and my silence be timely and appropriate. Through my words may others feel blessed and in my silence may there be peace.

(In response to Speaking Day by Stephen Cherry)

No comments: