Friday 24 October 2008

More from Birmingham and around







The President has already written eloquently about our visit - it was good to share together the evening with students from Queens and our time in Worcester and Evesham.

At the Fresh Expressions Day I met up with the Rev Paul Donnison (pictured with youth workers from his Circuit) ; his brother Geoff came round to see me on my first day at Sheffield University, and invited me round for Student Tea at the Manse - a gracious invitation which had far-reaching effects!

I was hosted by my old (and youthful!) friends Peter and Sue Bates. Peter candidated for the ministry from my home church, though he hails from Wolverhampton, and is now Superintendent of the Moseley and Sparkhill Circuit - and a keen Wolves supporter (now which comes first...?).

The Circuit came together on Sunday morning at Shirley for what I felt was a great celebration with good singing led by a choir and music group, as well as some topical drama entitled 'What is Caesar's?'. Not a nightclub, we discovered.

It led me to wondering whether we ought to have more occasional Circuit gatherings on a Sunday morning rather than the usual Sunday evening?

Certainly I received some warm comments from members of the smaller churches who had been encouraged to be part of a gathering of two or three hundred.

After a Bring and Share lunch we had a good session on why we find it difficult to talk about our work at Church and then in the evening at Quinton we had a similarly focussed discussion on why we find it hard to talk about our faith at Church! I think there may be a theme developing here.....

No comments: