Tuesday 4 September 2012

Service providers and Bishops

Higher Education Chaplains

 Judith’s new term started on the Tuesday, and I was away at an ecumenical Conference for Chaplain’s in higher education. This was a lesson in how far Universities have changed! The fascinating speaker from Warwick University who line manages the chaplains, talked about ‘customers’, and ‘service provision’, and the cost per student of a one to one chaplain encounter! I wore the ‘Presidential Cross’ and everyone thought I was a Bishop and all the nuns at another conference in the centre call me ‘Father’. Odd you have to admit for a plain and simple Primitive Methodist from Puritan stock. Not sure what my ancient relatives would have said – my great grandfather’s, great grandfather’s, great grandfather, Henry Oasland, who lost his living as the Minister at Bewdley Parish Church 350 years ago this August just gone!

Here’s a good piece of work again so do click on - www.methodist.org.uk/mission/chaplaincy/chaplaincy-activities/education-chaplains

Do pray for our Chaplains in HE as they continue to welcome back bunches of students all eager and ready to learn!

Mark Wakelin

No comments: