Tuesday 15 December 2009

375 years of Methodism!

On Sunday December 13th I revisited the Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury District, this time going to the Cannock Chase Circuit for two anniversaries.
The morning service was at Brereton Methodist Church, which celebrates its 200th anniversary this year. The occasion was marked with a floral decoration on the communion table; a special anniversary hymn (written by Brereton's organist, Ted Harley); an unveiling/dedication of a new window between the porch and the sanctuary, which makes an amazing difference to the feel of the building; and the sharing of the 200th anniversary cake in the 'Free School' after the service. I was asked to cut the cake, while the children blew out the 20 candles - one for each decade.

After lunch at Briar Hill MHA we went to our second service of the day.

Brereton Methodist Church building is not large, so the main 200th anniversary celebration was held at St Augustine's Parish Church, Rugeley, where we were made very welcome. We were joined by people from around the Circuit, from other churches and from the wider community. I knew I had arrived at the right place when I saw the District Chair's limo (a Morris 1000) parked at the door of the Parish Church.





The evening service was at Cannock Wood (a lovely little chapel), which is celebrating its 175th anniversary this year. So it was a day of celebrations - 375 years of Methodism. I think it brings my anniversary total so far this year up to 2257 years of Methodism.

This was also my final Sunday away from home in 2009. Next Sunday I hope to be (one of, but maybe all of) the tenors in Muswell Hill Methodist Church's carol service choir.












No comments: