Saturday 22 March 2014

Glimpses of Glory in Lent - Day 18


Sunset in Saltburn
How easy it is to wish that more could have been achieved in a day.
How often I wish that things could have been different.
Stephen Cherry, in his meditation Evensong, reminds us of the missed opportunities and the regrets we might have as the day ends.

One part of evening prayer and reflection is to recognise the moments in the day when I have fallen short, the moments when I have turned my face away from God to self. I recognise and remember these moments and offer them to God in penitence.

I pray that I will do better tomorrow.

At the end of the day I also give thanks for the moments when I have been aware of the presence of God. I givethanks for the moments when I have, with God's help, found the right words.
I give thanks for the generosity, love and graciousness of others - there has been much of that today.

As the day ends, I am at peace because it ends, as it began, with God.

           Give us, we pray, our daily rest,
           that we might live tomorrow better than today.
           But teach us, first, to say that while not perfect,
           this day was, in the end, okay.
                                                      (Evensong, Stephen Cherry)

No comments: