Wednesday 5 March 2008

Fresh Expressions musings

I've spent the last couple of days in London. On Monday I went to High Wycombe to share in a residential meeting for Methodists involved in Fresh Expressions. Though it is easy to say when the conference is deliberately targetted at enthusiasts, there is a real sense that more and more of us are 'up' for a genuine and radical openness to God about the future shapes of church - church not configured around a wooden version of our tradition, or our likings, but rather church shaped around what we discern as the mission and will of God in this time and place. It is all a bit messy at the moment, and will be for some time. But the number of folk who seem happy to live in a thrilling mess rather than a less thrilling stability seems to be growing!

Then on to London Monday night where I spent yesterday at Methodist Church House with some of the folk who I will be working with in the Connexional Team from September. All very exciting, and not a little daunting. I am trying hard to live in the world of the President, as is proper. But necessarily some time has rightly be given to preparing for the next connexional year. The problem is of course, as it is for many folk, to use a northern saying 'trying to get a quart in a pint pot'. I'm doing my best, but away from home for 6 days now I'm ready for a rest and hope to get one on Thursday, tomorrow.

But first it is today, and a meeting at Lambeth Palace with The Archbishops and others,together with members of our Secretariat. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: