Monday 2 May 2011

Spennymoor!

On Sunday 1st May I went home to Spennymoor, the town 6 miles South of Durham where I grew up and my family and my husbands family still live. It was a pleasure to preach at Trinity Methodist Church for their Anniversary in the morning and at the West Durham Circuit Service on the afternoon led by Rev Michael Pullan and Circuit Superintendent Rev Ann Shepherdson.

In the congregation were some of the people who cared for me and nurtured my faith as a young teenager. Amongst those gathered was one of my infant school teachers who could still remember teaching me to read (I fear it may have been a traumatic memory)! It was a great reminder of the importance of encouraging and nurturing others and the precious gift of the community of faith in all our stories.



Eating tea in the hall, that seemed so much smaller than I remembered was wonderful and provided an opportunity for recalling vivid memories of harvest suppers, youth events, bible studies and our wedding reception which was held here in August 1984.

No comments: