Saturday 12 March 2011

Oxford

A whole day in Oxford! I spent the morning with the congregation at Wesley Memorial Church, when we explored what it might mean to take the Biblical idea of 'Laments' seriously. At the time, I was aware of how much I was reflecting on our visit to Israel/Palestine, but now, of course, there is other pain and distress and suffering and grief to lament; other lives to mourn; other people and places to pray for with all our hearts.

In the evening, I had been asked to preach at evensong in Worcester College on the Sin of Gluttony. This was made even more interesting by the fact that the generous invitation included the offer of dinner at High Table followed by a very special and historic dessert by candle-light! I had a wonderful time, but am still not sure whether I was truly able to distinguish between a proper enjoyment of God's good gifts, and the right rejection of temptation! I remembered that Jesus went to parties and greatly enjoyed meals with his friends and trust I followed his example appropriately.

No comments: