Friday 19 September 2008

Dudley Anniversary

It was good to be at Central Church in Dudley on Sunday to share in their celebration of 30 years as a united congregation.
In 1978 four Methodist churches came together to create an attractive new church which (apart from a flat roof!) has well stood the test of time.







The Church was beautifully decorated for its Flower Festival and there was a good congregation and Junior Church; they are fortunate to have a superb organist (and several more I was told) and a mixed choir in good voice.

I was given a warm welcome, not least by my hosts Janette and David Robinson, their father Dennis and son Matthew.

I was also able to meet their Church Secretary, Joyce Holmes, at her home. She has been recovering from a heart attack but was clearly undaunted by her experience - she enthusiastically told me about her time working at Wesley House in Gibraltar, which formerly served the forces stationed there.

In the congregation was one of the members of the local Council and also the mother of Ian Austin, the Dudley North MP - who I will look out for when I attend the Labour Party Conference next week!

1 comment:

Peter Niccol said...

Has anyone any knowledge of Joyce Holmes who is mentioned as the Secretary of Central Methodist Church in this post ? She is a family friend and we didn`t hear from her over Christmas which is a concern.