Monday 14 April 2008

joy upon joy!

Had a great but very busy couple of weeks.

Thoroughly enjoyed the visit to Bolton and Rochdale district last weekend. Great folk and great events – the evening in Bolton was tremendous with choirs and bands everywhere.

On Monday (last) I unveiled the plaque on the house where Thomas Champness, a Wesleyan Methodist missionary started the newspaper (The Joyful News) and founded the group which became Cliff College. Thanks to the mayor, the civic reps, and all the supporters who braved the rain and hail to witness the event. In these days when my leaving of Cliff, which has been both my home and ministry for the last 12 years, draws nearer it was a moving and cathartic event for me.

Then it was 2 days with a group of young ministers, a fantastic time of sharing and listening – I am writing about this occasion in this week’s Methodist Recorder.

This last weekend was spent in Manchester and Stockport district. Friday was spent having my photograph taken every 5 seconds while looking round the Methodist insurance co. Then a fertile conversation with a group of lay workers, lunch with some of the staff at Manchester Central Hall, and off to a great infants/primary Methodist school in Tameside.

Last night I shared in the 150th anniversary of Langley MC in the Macclesfield circuit. Thank you to you all for a lovely time – and a great display of nostalgic memorability.

Then down to London, where I am now, girding my loins for the Methodist Council tomorrow. Joy heaped upon joy!

No comments: